Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:04:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'fetch' error with http, fix wanted

<<On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:43:41 -0600 (MDT), Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> said:

> Oh yes, on a completely unrelated note... fetch is also broken in that it
> makes HTTP/1.1 requests but doesn't properly deal with the results.  This
> gains it absolutely nothing but hurts a lot in some case.  eg. fetch
> http://www.apache.org/index.html doesn't give the proper output because
> fetch doesn't know about chunked encoding.  It is bogus, both in theory
> and practice, for fetch to claim to be HTTP/1.1 if it can't handle chunked
> encodings.

See the comments in the source.  We don't fully implement the
specification, and the part of the specification about who can claim
to be ``HTTP/1.1'' is one of the unimplemented parts.

We do implement some of the other, more important parts of the
specification, including ``Host:'' and ``Connection: close''.  I'm
also not sure how much of the mirror functionality is present in HTTP
1.0.  I coded fetch's HTTP implementation solely with reference to the
HTTP 1.1 specification.

You are certainly welcome to contribute an implementation of
``chunked''; see the comments in the source.  At the time I wrote the
code, I didn't have any servers which generated that encoding.

-GAWollman