Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:39:04 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <UZS106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi Everybody ....

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> At 2:01 Uhr +0200 on 21.07.1999, Dutch Collins wrote:
> >Have fun. I think this ppp primer is a good place to start.
> >
> >http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html
> >
> >Also do a search, ppp, network, and check the handbook. The primer
> >covers win95.
>
> Thanks ! I have an empty directory /usr/share/doc/tutorials/ppp, where I
> expected this pedantic primer. I'll have to download it in pieces and read
> it offline, telephoncosts here in germany are incredible high. German
> telekom. And its not part of the live filesystem (CD 2)..., at least its
> not in /usr/share/doc. (Btw, why are the long filesnames not supported here
> under Win95 ?)

I think you mean that all 3 German servers are not a local telephone
charge. About the MS Long File Names? When I mount a MSDOS drive I
get Long File Names, other than that I am not sure what you mean.

> But my PPP (tun0) is running, since yesterday, thanks to the very brillant
> man ppp and the ppp.config.sample file. For me, the handbook was too
> confusing, when it came to editing ppp.conf. But using two kinds of PPP is
> a different thing. I think I should have a user "ppp", using pppd, there
> was an example somewhere in the handbook. Maybe I am seeing problems where
> no problems are... ;-) Well, newbies...

You might ask somebody with more experience than me. I use ppp as
'user'.

> Now, I have mainly two questions: (1) What hostname should I use ? Sendmail
> finds a SMTP host here without any configurations on my side, maybe this is
> part of PPP or DNS, but root gets mails saying that this host doesnt allow
> everybody to use it, especially not a host without a proper hostname. I
> think I have to give apache a hostname too, in httpd.conf, that I need for
> playing with perl. How could I when I have dynamic IP and the proper
> hostname is never the same ?
>
> (2) I cant get the "easy" leafnode running. Do I have to create all
> directories by hand, /var/spool/news/* ? Empty files too ? I have created
> two directories with owner news, out.going and interesting.articles. Since
> then fetchnews doesnt complain anymore, that it couldnt open those dirs, it
> says nothing....
>
> PPP, I have an old UART, an old 28800 modem, am using 38400, which is much
> faster than 28800 or 57400. 3 - 4 kB per second seems ok. Sometimes I have
> broken links, dont know why. German Telekom is providing the modemservice
> to the university here.......for "free"...
>
> Sorry for my baaaad english and best wishes from Bonn,
>
> Heiko

Do you mean the name of your machine, localhost? I cannot be sure.
An example; my machine, the box that will become a network gateway
is called, maleline.section.one, this is not a valid name except to
the boxes I will connect locally. Other than that I cannot answer.

English? Don't worry about. You should hear what my southern accent
does to it, and anyway when I was studying at AEG the guys there used
english as a courtesy to me. All I can do is read some German comments
in a Assembler coded program they wrote.

-dutch