Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:13:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marius <marius@mail.communityconnect.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Multiple dropped thttpd connections under high load.

My company has a number of FreeBSD 3.5-Stable servers running thttpd
2.2.17, they happily buzz along under very high load.  (With a
'options NMBCLUSTERS=8192' in the kernel config to give us some
serious mbufs.)

So a few months back I went ahead and upgraded one of the servers to
4.x-Stable.  It currently is running 4.1.1-Stable.  (But I am upgrading it
now to 4.2-Stable as I write.  Some of those recent security advisories
struck a chord.)

Anyway, since upgrading from 3.5-Stable to 4.1.1.-Stable the performance
of the machine and it's webserver has been flakey whe under higher load.  Under
calmer conditions it works fine, but when the traffic raises we get a high
occurance of dropped connections.  Even just telneting to the webserver
from the local host can create a dropped conection.  (Sometimes as it is
contecting the webserver, and sometimes while it is trying to fulfill the
requests.)  The 3.5-Stable machines don't exhibit this behavior.

The problem of dropped connections has become so common that I have been
told to take it out of service.   But I really want to get it back into
service.  Someday thttpd will have support for 'accept filters' and I want
to be ready.  I could -so- use them.

I am running the same thttpd binary as I did on 3.5-Stable.  I copied over
a fresh image from a companion machine recently.  Since it works under
light/medium load on the machine, I didn't think it needed to be
recompiled.

mbuff (netstat -m) usage can be high, but I don't think I am running out
of them.  I've never seen it at more the 75%.

Does anybody have some suggestions for improving/tuning things to work
better?  I know this situation is rather specific, if everybody was having
problems like this, there would be PR's on file, but I can't find any.
And I can't remember any chatter like this in recent months on Stable.

Any suggestions/educated-guesses would be appreciated.

-Marius M. Rex