Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:19:32 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What laptop should I buy?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Nate Williams wrote:

> > 	I guess I'm doing the opposite since I need a desktop replacement
> > when I travel.
>
> My 600 works pretty well as a desktop replacement.  I've got it loaded
> with a 10GB disk, it's hooked through my dock to an external
> keyboard/mouse, and hooked up to my 19" monitor which does 1024x768
> quite nicely. :)

	Pretty neat setup.  Mines has 320mb RAM, I think your 600 can
handle more than my 770Z can in terms of memory.  With a 14.1GB HDD, the
13.7" 1280x1024 LCD.  Maybe the next thing I need is a docking station. =)

> > > I *love* IBM Thinkpads.  Unfortunately, they're a bit spendy, but IMO
> > > well worth it in terms or ruggedness and the best keyboard of any
> > > laptop.
> >
> > 	Me too.  I'm just waiting for the 770Z replacement since that's
> > what I have now.  The older ThinkPad models seems to have better keyboards
> > than the newer ones though.
> >
> > > (Plus, they don't use those silly touch-pads...)
> >
> > 	That's the primary reason I got the ThinkPad is because of the
> > Trackpoint.  While both Toshiba and Compaq has it too, I didn't like those
> > machines as much as the TP itself.  Except the experience with this 770Z
> > hasn't been that great.  The ROM lost the serial number after one week of
> > usage so they replaced the mainboard.  Otherwise, the machine has been
> > serving me well the last 10 months.  Just a bit on the expensive side
> > since I spent close to $5k for this thing but atleast I get my work done.
>
> *Ouch*  I bought my Thinkpad on E-Bay for $3K.  PII-400, 192MB memory,
> 10GB disk, and a DVD.  About $1800 cheaper than buying it retail, and
> the warranty was still good (I checked with IBM before buying it).

	My problem is that no stores here in San Francisco has anything
above the i series in stock.  So I had to take my chance and order from
Mail Order without knowing what the machine looks like or feels
like.  Mines was for $4699, which was $200 less than what the current
charges were then.  IBM did give me a $500 rebate by mail.

> I will admit it was a bit scarey giving the UPS guy a check for that
> much w/out being able to see the machine, but in the end it worked out
> for me...

	I know but atleast you were a little better off than I was.  I was
charged the close to $5000 ($4699+$79 for the case) to my credit card as
soon as it was shipped without knowing what the machine looked or felt
like.  I never knew the 770Z had a external disk drive that had to be
either hooked up externally by cable or swapped with the DVD.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin