Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:59:20 -0400
From:      "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com>
To:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Products

Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>:
> To play a devil's advocate and assume your part, I can imagine 2
> possible answers (please bring more if you have them; I'm quoting
> what I heard from other people propheting BSD death):
> a) BSD won't really die, but Linux will grow so
> much noone will notice BSD or know what it is; b) Linux will
> quickly support all the hardware/be supported by software companies,
> so everyone will have to either use Microsoft OSes or Linux.

None of the above.  What I expect will happen (not `want', but `expect')
is that the BSDs will run out of development energy because the people
who would otherwise join them will decide it makes more sense to be where
the crowds (and the attention, and the money) are, over in Linuxland.

OK, you can come back at me with "If that's the way it works, why hasn't
Windows won?"  But the cases aren't parallel.  There's a lot of stuff you
just can't do in Windows.  Moving to Linux, OTOH, doesn't lose developers
a lot and lets them respect themselves in the morning. ;-)

I'm sorry but I just don't find unified userland much of a draw.  The
flip side of unified userland is that you throw away Linux's potential
to be all things to all people.  Similarly, the idea that I can make
all with a single command is technically sweet but kind of pointless
unless I'm an OS integrator myself.  It certainly ain't gonna do jack
for the end-user.

That said, you've done the best job of anyone here of raising doubt
about my pessimistic BSD-will-die scenario in my mind.  That figure of
25,000 registered users is very encouraging.

BTW, I understand I actually have code in the FreeBSD kernel.  Somebody
told me you guys use a variant of the PC speaker driver I wrote for SysV way
back when.  If this is still true, it's very amusing considering where I
spend most of my hacking time these days.  I don't have code in the
*Linux* kernel... :-)
--

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may
be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons