Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 02:35:27 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        esr@thyrsus.com, Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Products

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 01:59:20AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>:
> > To play a devil's advocate and assume your part, I can imagine 2
> > possible answers (please bring more if you have them; I'm quoting
> > what I heard from other people propheting BSD death):
> > a) BSD won't really die, but Linux will grow so
> > much noone will notice BSD or know what it is; b) Linux will
> > quickly support all the hardware/be supported by software companies,
> > so everyone will have to either use Microsoft OSes or Linux.
>
> None of the above.  What I expect will happen (not `want', but `expect')
> is that the BSDs will run out of development energy because the people
> who would otherwise join them will decide it makes more sense to be where
> the crowds (and the attention, and the money) are, over in Linuxland.

While the crowds of Linuxland might attrack more developers, the money
factor works in FreeBSD's favor for people doing things like embedded
systems and such. The BSD license gives you a lot of commercial freedom,
and I think many people will (and have) choose FreeBSD as their OS
of choice for black-box solutions.. Whether or not this gets us huge
media attention or not is really not important - it will get us developers
that will keep the project pumping.

An interesting side note: A friend of mine works at QNX. He told me that
their #1 "competitor" right now is FreeBSD. Not Windows, not Linux,
not PharLap - FreeBSD. Why? People can develop embedded apps on it for
free, and if they fly, can easily turn the project commercial and reap
the financial rewards. Of course, he also mentioned that many of their
customers develop initially on FreeBSD, but then deploy on QNX since they
can do the "real" embedded hardware sutff on QNX, etc, etc..

Another case study: I recently did a job interview at ConnectTech, a
company that makes multi-port serial boards, and they upfront told me
that many of their customers were enquiring about FreeBSD for their
manufacturing control systems. ConnectTech was looking for a BSD device
driver writer. They considered FreeBSD to be the up and coming player.
Very positive. :-)

Add that to the fact that the largest FTP (ftp.cdrom.com),
HTTP (www.yahoo.com), IRC (irc.dal.net), and Movie Databases (Internet
Movie Database) in the world are powered by FreeBSD and I think we've
got, unquestionably, a great product.. Demanding users are choosing
FreeBSD today, I don't see why they won't in the future. And yes, we
do have enough developers to keep on top of the major hardware trends.

> That said, you've done the best job of anyone here of raising doubt
> about my pessimistic BSD-will-die scenario in my mind.  That figure of
> 25,000 registered users is very encouraging.

Agreed. Anatoly presented the best logic. :)

My spin: technical/demanding users will always exist, and they will
always prefer the most technically advanced OS. This is FreeBSD's community
now to a large extent, and I don't see that ever changing. Whether or
not we can extend it to be more of a mainstream success like Linux is
becoming is the question. I think we can, but even if we don't, I still
don't consider that "death" and will continue to be happy on my BSD system.
:-)

> BTW, I understand I actually have code in the FreeBSD kernel.  Somebody
> told me you guys use a variant of the PC speaker driver I wrote for SysV way
> back when.  If this is still true, it's very amusing considering where I
> spend most of my hacking time these days.  I don't have code in the
> *Linux* kernel... :-)

Indeed:

/*
 * spkr.c -- device driver for console speaker
 *
 * v1.4 by Eric S. Raymond (esr@snark.thyrsus.com) Aug 1993
 * modified for FreeBSD by Andrew A. Chernov <ache@astral.msk.su>
 *
 *    $Id: spkr.c,v 1.33 1998/02/20 13:46:55 bde Exp $
 */

:-)

Time to get back to your roots perhaps?  :-)

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code