Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 12:55:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      eagle <eagle@eagle.phc.igs.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Installation Guide Project [Was: Re: FreeBSD Adovcacy]

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> >> I think Don Wilde said it best when he said the "handbook tries to go
> >> too many places."
> >
> >What does that mean?  What does that say about including an
> >installation guide in it?  There is one there already.  The best thing
> >we can do for the FreeBSD community is to ensure that it's good, not
> >to cry "NIH" and do (y)our own thing.
>
> I was commended for my idea by more than a couple of well-knowns in
> the community.  Now people doubt that it would be a good idea at all,
> that it would reinvent the wheel or undermine existing resources.
> Between that and the indecisive nature of charters and unorganized
> structures of services and resources it's enough to make me just
> throw my hands up and walk away from it, just forget about any active
> contribution.
>
> So you tell me, what should I do?  Disregard everyone's comments and
> do what I want how I want and hope that maybe, just maybe, someone
> else might also benefit from something that made my life easier, or
> should I sit here, defending my principals and debating my ideas,
> trying to get the support of people that I should be able to rely on
> for help and end up doing little more than grinding my motivations for
> doing anything productive into the mud?
>
> I want to go forward with my idea and I hope that folks like Don Wilde
> and Dan Langille can and will help me achieve my objectives.  I also
> want to be able to share my projects, but my ambitions aren't going to
> fair well if I have to defend myself each time.
>
> Maybe this is a rant and maybe it's the result of not knowing all that
> I should.  But this *is* what I see and this *is* what I believe.

Doesn't matter how good the idea is, somebody will always have negative
comments, you can decide how you want to shut up the detractors, by
writing the documentation and doing a good job of it, or walking away.

I personnally hope you decide to go forward with it, good documentation
goes a long way in getting people to use and enjoy freebsd and that is the
whole point of advocacy is it not?

rob