Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:26:55 +0100
From:      Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging and dummynet seems to destroy dmesg output

> > > i think SMP might have something to do with it. Yusuf, are you also
> > > using an SMP box ?
> >
> > The strange thing is that if I turn on verbose logging (via sysctl) but
> > don't turn on verbose_limit, dmesg seems to get corrupted. If I have

> > So, it seems some combination of verbose logging and non setting of
> > verbose limit [or the default setting of verbose limit] is causing this
> > problem
>

>     Just in case nobody has yet noticed, this is for sure a case of lost
> pointer.  And if the kernel is not yet crashing is just mere luck!  Time to
> audit changes since -release?

Eh no.

I've experienced panic's at the end of /etc/rc, just before going multiuser.
When I disable firewalling in /etc/rc.conf the system boots up fine.
(although it isn't that useful anymore, because of the default deny everything
policy of ipfw).

This was on a SMP box with a Jan 30 cvsup, I'm currently downgrading it to
an older 4.2-stable (dated 30 Dec 2000)

Regards,
	Ruben

--
  /() ) |     Ruben van Staveren     | Linux is for Microsoft Haters,|_o