Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:43:54 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        esr@thyrsus.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Products

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:15:41 -0400, "Eric S. Raymond"
<esr@snark.thyrsus.com> wrote:

>if anyone can spin a plausible scenario under which the BSDs
>survive the next three years, I'd really love to hear it.)

As DG pointed out, FreeBSD gets many converts from Linux, but few go
back to Linux after using FreeBSD for more than a few days.

I switched because of Linux' problems with disk/network/serial I/O all
at the same time.  Linux handles a load poorly while FreeBSD handles
it very well.  That's not just a technical aesthetics argument, it has
practical application for everyday usage.

Linux is accumulating public mindshare, but Linux users who need
better performance will look around and find FreeBSD.  Even if that's
only a minority of perhaps 10% to 15%, Linux growth will cause more
FreeBSD growth, not kill it.

I think some people are comparing Linux vs. FreeBSD to what happened
with Windows vs. OS/2 -- mostly because Linux has a big lead today.
But FreeBSD is not a proprietary product sold by a declining company
with inept management who are out of touch with a changing software
market.

As long as the source code remains "free," I expect FreeBSD to thrive.
I think it has attracted more highly talented developers, and that's
more important to me than having the largest user base.  Users will
never make my OS run better, only the developers will.