Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 22:14:43 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        eagle <eagle@eagle.phc.igs.net>
Cc:        Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Installation Guide Project [Was: Re: FreeBSD Adovcacy]

eagle wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> >
> > Maybe this is a rant and maybe it's the result of not knowing all that
> > I should.  But this *is* what I see and this *is* what I believe.
>
> Doesn't matter how good the idea is, somebody will always have negative
> comments, you can decide how you want to shut up the detractors, by
> writing the documentation and doing a good job of it, or walking away.

Er, the "Greg Lehey" way versus the "Brett Glass" way?

> I personnally hope you decide to go forward with it, good documentation
> goes a long way in getting people to use and enjoy freebsd and that is the
> whole point of advocacy is it not?

Yup, the exact point.  I think Greg and Bill were, in their own way,
asking you to consider if your work would be better done as an update
to the existing documentation framework.  If this really doesn't make
sense, do it in whatever way it does make sense.  Personally, I like
the idea of a "FreeBSD for Dummies" book very much, especially if it
appears on the shelves of the local bookstore with a FreeBSD CD-ROM
inside it.