Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:19:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, archie@whistle.com, steveo@iol.ie, rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make port and bsd.port.mk

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Yes.  There is also a plan to add some "versioning" mechanism to have
> the bsd.port.mk in the tree automatically check the existence of an
> upgrade kit or a reasonably close "make world" so the rest of the
> /usr/src dependencies can be automatically handled too, but that's
> only just a plan so far.

That sounds great.  It sure would have been cool to have ports upgrade
when I did the make upgrade to 3.0 from 2.2.8 (not that I'm complaining
about the lack of that very difficult to implement feature).

> But you are right, I probably outsmarted myself.  Hmm, how can I fix
> this.  What do people think of something like:

[snip]

> as a final version of bsd.port.mk in 2.2-stable?

That would work for me on my remaining 2.2 boxes.  On other alternative
would be to simply have the new version of the makefile tell people how to
fix the problem by grabing snapshots from some ftp/web site or a very
limited anon-cvs checkout from freefall (what I did) or some other
solution.

-- Brooks