Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:15:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hosokawa@jp.freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Well, I finally bought a test laptop and decided to jump in...

> > Now I'm up with 2.2.2 and the pccard support has, of course,
> > disappeared
>
> Huh?  2.2 has had pccard support since it's inception.  Did you try
> using it?

I should have been more explicit: The 2.2.2 support which is added by
the PAO distribution disappeared when I left the boot-pao floppy, and
the pccard support currently in 2.2.2 does _not_ support my ethernet
card.

> > of /etc/*pccard* and getting them updated, but after a few false
> > starts and the insertion of a 10 second sleep into the file which
> > starts pccardd so that it can have my ethernet device configured
> > _before_ the other ifconfig stuff is run, it's working.  Yay.
>
> Huh?  This shouldn't be necessary.

Like it or not, it is.  rc.pccard runs pccardd in the background, and
the rest of the startup *races* pccardd in its configuration of the
cards.  Before I added the sleep, my system would not come up properly
on the net using my pre-existing ifconfig_ed0 entries (and I see no
reason whatsoever why it shouldn't be able to do so - even if you
expected the "insertion" behavior to bring up the interface later, it
wouldn't be soon enough for things like ntpdate which run out of
/etc/rc.netstart).

> > Conclusions: This is harder than it needs to be and it really should
> > be better integrated with the system - I understand that some of this
> > stuff is "experimental", but where better to test and develop it than
> > in FreeBSD's CVS repository?
>
> Certainly *NOT* in the repository.  Read old email, or give me or Poul a
> call and we can discuss things.

I'll be happy to.  Doing so now. :)

					Jordan