Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:53:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        jas@flyingfox.com
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

Quoth Jim Shankland on Thu, 24 July:
: > I have to warn you that several mail server products of which I'm
: > aware actualy verify via getpeername/gethostbyaddr (RARP), and
: > will reject your host anyway.
:
: RARP?  Or was that just a belch in mid-sentence :-)?
:
: Seems like it would be nice for those implementing such a policy to
: allow chopping of subdomain prefixes; e.g., if getpeername/gethostbyaddr
: return foo.bar.acme.com, and the envelope sender is joebob@acme.com,
: then it's OK.  Or is that too loose?

And multiple names.  MAIL FROM: jimbob@client.domain.com will often
come from isp.domain.net.  And non-Internet paths.

What about networks that do not use symbolic host names?