Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 03:11:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

In article <8050.868713758@time.cdrom.com> you wrote:
> > My personal take on the ldconfig situation : ldconfig should have an
> > internal set of default paths (initiallt just /usr/lib), which can be
> > manually inhibited on the commandline if required, it should support
> > /etc/ld.so.conf by reading it if it exists, and it should take paths on
> > the commandline.
> >
> > As for whether /etc/ld.so.conf should override the inbuilt search
> > path, the obvious answer is _no_; there is a perfectly good control
> > for this on the commandline.

> Yeesh - then by that logic, I guess, I should just throw all of the
> existing _LDC munging stuff in rc and just make an ldconfig_flags
> variable which you can set to whatever you want. :-)

Yes, why not?  The only disadvantage is that system would not
boot multi-user without rc.conf ; but it wouldn't anyway now,
with networking and many other vital options there.    Just try it...
( mv /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf- ; reboot )

Perhaps rc scripts should have some fall-back behaviour when rc.conf
is absent.

--
"The Soviet Union does not exist any more in its present format."
CCCP:> format CCCP: /u            -- <Eugene.Krashtan@f586.n463.z2.fidonet.org>