Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:31:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        jas@flyingfox.com, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

> : Seems like it would be nice for those implementing such a policy to
> : allow chopping of subdomain prefixes; e.g., if getpeername/gethostbyaddr
> : return foo.bar.acme.com, and the envelope sender is joebob@acme.com,
> : then it's OK.  Or is that too loose?
>
> And multiple names.  MAIL FROM: jimbob@client.domain.com will often
> come from isp.domain.net.  And non-Internet paths.
>
> What about networks that do not use symbolic host names?

In both these cases, you must use a "smarter host" that explicitly
allows your mail.

There are two types of filtering wich occur at a smarter host:

1)	Relay filtering

	Given your getpeername/gethostbyaddr[/gethostbyname] on
	initial connection to validate you are not a SPAMmer, and
	filtering on "HELO domain" and "MAIL FROM:<user@domain>"
	for the same reason, the "RCPT TO:<username@other.domain>"
	is checked to see if it is a local address, or one which
	must be forwarded.  If it must be forwarded, only allowed
	source hosts are permitted to forward.

	For ISP's, this boils down to an IP address in the range
	of IP addresses that the ISP dynamically or statically
	assigns to their customers who pay for relay services.

	The intent is to prevent the relay of SPAM by a SPAMmer
	through your machine, making you the target of mailbombs,
	etc., by upset users (also denial of service for your
	legitimate customers, etc.).

2)	Local address filtering

	Given the same verified source and address information,
	you determine if you want to accept the mail for a local
	user.

	This allows you to comply with court orders against ISP
	participation in ISP client harrasment by an outside
	person or agent.  You may not want to prevent the outside
	agent from sending mail *through* your system, only *to*
	it.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org