Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:47:53 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

Stephen Roome stands accused of saying :
> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Jonathan Mini wrote:
>
> > What I'm saying is that my hostname doesn't have a DNS entry in the "outside
> > world" and therefore sending a message from my machine is automatically an
> > invalid host. THe only real option I have is to spoof the information that
> > sendmail sends out, ask my ISP for a addressless DNS entry (make a DNS entry
> > that has no A entry) or change my hostname to something valid.
>
> Two other _REAL_ options:
> a) Find anyone on the net who is willing to let you have an email account
> on their machine. That's how it always used to be done.

  Done a) doesn't help. Sending machine from me still hurts.

> b)Get hold of someone who's willing to act as your mail relay, and
> then change your email From: & Reply-To: addresses' to that host.
> Then if you only have an IP number or whatever then the relay can just
> forward it, or if you have nothing more than a dynamic IP then you can set
> up sendmail to collect it for you from their machine.

  Did b) Doesn't help, (check my From: and Reply-To: headers -- they're valid)

> c)Move to a reasonable ISP.
>
> Personally I'd go with c.

   Doing c), I will get a serious bandwidth upgrade (10T fiber to a "fiber
netowrk that is all thatm uch powerful than poor me" to a T3. Off of said
connection I reguarly have seen 400k/s from cdrom.com and such. As opposed to
my poor 14.4k modem. (I _had_ a 28.8k, it broke. And I'm not upgrading for the
same reason I'm just waiting on the whole DNS isssue)

--
Jonathan Mini (j_mini@efn.org)

... bleakness ... desolation ... plastic forks ...