Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:04:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        jmb@hub.freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very Interesting user of FreeBSD

In article <local.mail.freebsd-advocacy/19990405222038.F2DDD15583@hub.freebsd.org> you write:

>> I was talking to the Polyteam at the conference, and what they would
>> primarily like is for my changes to be folded into FBSD (which I should
>> submit for review sometime soon).  Also, they are still using 2.2.8
>> instead of 3.1, with one of the primary reasons being that the two-floppy
>> boot disk is a pain in the butt.
>
>	appendix K of the report contains the configuration changes
>and one code change that they (the polyteam) made to their FreeBSD
>machines.  interesting reading.
>
>kernel config:
>options "MAXDSIZ=(512*1024*1024)"
>options "DFLDSIZ=(128*1024*1024)"

Yes, these aren't needed on 3.1, as they've already been rolled
into that distribution.

>options "NMBCLUSTERS=40960"			!!

Heh.  I had an equivalent sized area, and still ran out of space
sometimes, (primarily because we fell behind in processing).

>options TCP_ACK_HACK

In 3.1, it is the sysctl knob "net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack".

>/sys/netinet/tcp_timer.h
>#define TCPTC_MSL (3*PR_SLOWHZ)

This violation of spec was needed to prevent the test boxes from freezing
up under the workload; at an average of 300 connections/second per test
pair, the  the number of sockets in TIME_WAIT grows intolerably large.
I have an alternate implementation that moves all sockets in TIME_WAIT
state to a different list, so they don't impact normal processing.

>/sys/kern/uipc_socket.c:  (faked diff)
>                        if (resid >= MINCLSIZE) {
>                                MCLGET(m, M_WAIT);
>                                if ((m->m_flags & M_EXT) == 0)
>                                        goto nopages;
>                                mlen = MCLBYTES;
>                                len = min(min(mlen, resid), space);
>                        } else {
>+				atomic = 1;
>nopages:

This one I'm not sure what to do with.  That is, I know what it does,
but am not sure what the correct fix is.

Anyway, Polyteam doesn't mind having to re-apply the diffs above
to the kernel, since they need to re-build the kernel with a lower
MSL and tweaked values anyway.  They have stated (as I understand it)
that one of their current goals is to make available a pre-patched
FreeBSD kernel from their website so that their various customers can
just download and install a tuned kernel.
--
Jonathan