Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:10:58 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3com wavelan/802.11[b]/"AirConnect"

Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org> probably said:
> Seems to me that is a lot of money; the apple station is 200$ and works
> just fine with freebsd, the 100$ apple/lucent and the baystack cards. That
> seems more like a home solution to me.

Last I heard the apple base station was difficult or impossible to
configure without a mac (this may have changed) and you can't put an
external arial on them so their range is limited.

The 3com base station just requires one run of cat5 for both power and
net, so it would be fairly easy to run this up to the attic and have
reasonable range.

There is a group of us looking at SAN (square area networking :) in an
area where several people live and I hope to be moving to this year,
wireless network between several houses with cable modems/DSL NATed
out one of the network connection and tunneled between the houses so
you could roam between the various base stations.

Not worked out all the details yet, since the hardware isn't bought,
but it would need decent range and hence an external arial ...

As to cards, I have yet to find one under $180. The gold lucent cards
(which PAO can use, but not at 11Mbit yet) are $189 from cdw.com.

The 3com cards are slightly cheaper, but driver status is unknown
(which probably means non-existant as yet).

I can't find a reasonable price for the Bay^Wnortel cards anywhere,
$240+.

At $180/per card, if I put one in a pcmcia controller (I just ordered
an SBUS PCMCIA controller, and there are some 3rd party solaris
drivers kicking around with a hope of putting a card in the sparc that
routes for my house network), that still comes out at over $700.

Less than $300 extra to not have to futz with cards in a server and
have a standalone wireless bridge isn't that bad for me.

Anyway, my question was about drivers ... anyone played with the 3com
stuff or got one they could borrow and drop into a freebsd box ?

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu