Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:38:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Mark Dawson <md@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        ONE-MO <onemo@jps.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq ida driver patch

 MD> ONE-MO,
 >> I finally get the thing probed correctly - I specified port 0x0 in my

You had to specify port 0x0 ??? What is the real port that it is at?
also, what are the exact probe lines from dmesg? Mine wouldn't work
correctly unless I specified the exact port. You should also be able
to look at the EISA config on your machine BIOS (or using the floopy
that must have come along with any EISA machine), and find out what
resources are being used by each device.

 MD> The fact that you had to do this indicates to me that the EISA probe
 MD> code in the driver has not migrated happily to 3.0 from 2.2.x.  Perhaps
 MD> someone who is familiar with changes in this area can take a quick look
 MD> and advise you (and me) if there are obvious problems with it.

That's probably true.

 MD> I'm afraid I haven't migrated my systems to 3.0 and I no longer have any
 MD> EISA cards to experiment with.

If anyone has the knowhow, but not the hardware, I'll be willing to
work on the driver under tutelage (so to speak). My machine at home is
not critical to me right now, so messing with the ida driver is ok.

 MD> Mark

Viren
--
Viren R. Shah, {viren @ rstcorp . com} http://www.rstcorp.com/~vshah/