Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:01:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Jonathan Mini wrote:
> Stephen Roome stands accused of saying :
> > b)Get hold of someone who's willing to act as your mail relay, and
> > then change your email From: & Reply-To: addresses' to that host.
> > Then if you only have an IP number or whatever then the relay can just
> > forward it, or if you have nothing more than a dynamic IP then you can set
> > up sendmail to collect it for you from their machine.
>
>   Did b) Doesn't help, (check my From: and Reply-To: headers -- they're valid)

I'm not sure you follow me then, what I'm saying is that if you send mail
from your machine via a relay that you have set up specifically to frob
your mail envelopes into something that is reasonable and accepted by the
rest of the world without problem then outgoing mail will work. You can
use the domaintable feature to make returning mail come back to you
properly from that box. It does require one box on the internet capable of
managing your email for you correctly, however I know it works because I
have quite a few clients using my dodgy hacks to sendmail in exactly this
way.
The machine they are coming from have Private IP addresses (usually in the
10./24 range) and absolutely ridiculous domain names set up internally,
like .intranet.zone. .

Works a treat, but you do need to carefully read the sendmail docs.

> > c)Move to a reasonable ISP.
> > Personally I'd go with c.
>    Doing c), I will get a serious bandwidth upgrade (10T fiber to a "fiber
> netowrk that is all thatm uch powerful than poor me" to a T3. Off of said
> connection I reguarly have seen 400k/s from cdrom.com and such. As opposed to
> my poor 14.4k modem. (I _had_ a 28.8k, it broke. And I'm not upgrading for the
> same reason I'm just waiting on the whole DNS isssue)

Sensible choice. =)

Although I missed the fourth option which is to get someone else to come
in and set the relaying mail configuration I'm suggesting =)

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342