Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:21:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dhagan@cs.vt.edu (Daniel Hagan)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POSIX compliance?

> Does anyone know what areas of POSIX FreeBSD is not compliant with?  This
> is apparently an important issue to some of the professors here at Va.
> Tech.

Since POSIX is a registered trademark, and use of that trademark
requires certification, there aren't any currently shipping free
OS's that are technically capable of being called "POSIX compliant".

Like the old "NT 3.0p3 on Compaq Proliant hardware" C2 ceritifcation,
there is a certified version of Linux, but AFAIK, the ceritification
has not been kept up to date on any modern versions.  You may be able
to find old copies of CDROMs or archives of that version, though.

What you _probably_ want instead is to get a copy of the NIST/PCTS
(National Institute of Standards / POSIX Conformance Test Suite)
and run it yourself on a FreeBSD box.

This will give you the results you would get from sending FreeBSD
to a certification laboratory, without paging the testing and
trademark usage licensing fees.

Since it's also something that an CS department should already have
a copy of anyway, it's probably lying around somewhere.

If not, then you should download it from the NIST ftp site where
it has been archived and made available for public download:

	http://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/ctg/posix_form.htm

You might even find someone (with commit priviledges) willing to
check in code changes to address any deviations you find.

-- Terry "Yes, I _am_ better than the search engines" Lambert

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.