Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:05:59 -0600
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   syslog.conf host selection uses only short host name?

Is the 'correct' behavior of syslog.conf when using the "+hostname"
selection to manage remote host logging to only use the "short" hostname?

If I do:

+machine.domain.tld
ftp.*    /var/log/machine.ftp

I don't get my traffic logged, but if I use:

+machine
ftp.*    /var/log/machine.ftp

I do.  It strikes me that I should be able to select on the fqdn.  The
manpage says "hostname", which I've always assumed to be the fqdn.  The
default output of hostname(1) on my 4.2-STABLE machines is the fqdn.

In an ideal world, it'd be nice to use the fqdn AND wildcards, especially if
managing remote logging from many machines or domains where the short
hostname may have duplicates.  I guess I should submit a patch for the
manpage that stipulates the + selector for syslog.conf is "short" hostnames
(ala hostname -s), and not fqdn.