Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:06:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How to format handbook (Re: Publishing the FreeBSD handbook)

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:

[snip]

>  3. Are there plans for any additional content to be "Print version only"?

Some of the obvious in traditional bookwork, besides indices and
perhaps appendices is the usual front matter (half titles,
introduction, preface, forward/"how to use this...", etc.,) besides
table of contents.

The problem I'm having now, though, is with the front matter. The
missing portions are easy to solve, but I can't see how to get roman
folios or a title page graphic. The <bookinfo> tag appears to be the
wrapper for everything that is front matter, but I see no dsssl hooks
that will set the page-number-format correctly on entering <bookinfo>
or reset it on leaving. Nothing I've tried does the right thing and by
the time jade outputs TeX, the folios are already fixed as arabic. I
can also see some of the hooks for graphics, but I haven't been able
to make them work. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

[snip]

>If you want to include that information, you normally include "-ifoo" on
>the command line of your SGML tools, otherwise they'll ignore it (the
>default).
>
>That's a simplistic approach (in reality you'll probably have a number of
>entities relating to this printing of the Handbook, turned on or off with
>one other entity) but that's the basic idea.

How would you handle style sheets with this approach? Lump it all into
freebsd.dsl or create a wcprint (or some such) version of the modular
stylesheets?

I agree with Greg. I think a number of things need redoing for
publication. The default format, as it exists now, is not economical,
doesn't fit with the style WC has established and would add several
needless signatures. What WC needs though, wouldn't work very well for
a pdf or html version. So I think a distinction needs to be made
between WC's print format and the default. How should the style sheets
be handled if that distinction is made?

(And how do I get roman numerals?)

-- Jay