Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:24:44 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A Question for the FAQ...

I had a chance to upgrade and immediately noticed that under certain
circumstances, the UDMA option of the wd(4) driver can interfere with
audio playback. Symptoms include: Audio chopping, slowing down,
stopping. All occur under heavy to "normal" (normal for playing back a
44100 Hz, 16 bit, stereo .WAV file) disk access. Turning off the DMA
(flags 0x2000) results in a return to normalcy, without any loss in
performance. (I bonnie'd the hard drive like crazy to make sure :-).

Machine: AMD K6-2, 300 MHz. Spacewalker HOT-591P "Super 7" MB, 512K L2.
RAM: 64MB of PC100, running at 66 MHz (Processor is 66 MHz version)
Hard drive: 6.8G Maxtor DiamondMax (Maxtor 90680D4)
Audio Card: Yamaha YMH0020, using Luigi's driver.

Any other questions necessary, email me. I have fixed the problem at the
point in time. It just seemed like a really good one for the FAQ to
cover.
--
Kris Kirby
Home     <kris@airnet.net>      UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>