Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 12:26:18 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        "Dmitry G. Golub" <dgolub@gdg.perm.cbr.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange behavior of USB and ulpt printer

Dmitry G. Golub wrote:

> Because Canon's 6xxx series does not have hardware character generator,
> I am printing via Ghostscript only, but with same GS configuration printer
> works very well on LPT port. Have anybody any ideas? Have anybody any success
> with USB printers such as Canon 6100?
>
> Sorry for my poor English. I hope you can understand me.

I have one success story and one failure story.

I have an Epson Photo 870 that works perfectly with ulpt. Well, almost.
The little program that lets you detect ink levels fails, since ulpt
doesn't support a back channel. But printing is flawless. The only
complaint I have is that the data set for printing a single page is HUGE
on this printer, and ghostscript takes a long(er) time to chew over it.
But the output is so beautiful I can't complain too much.

I used to have an HP DeskJet 812C. It didn't work -- it was prone to
what was clearly buffer overruns within the printer. If I added delays
to the ulpt driver, it worked, but then it printed extremely slowly. I
figure the Windows driver must have some sort of workaround for this
issue. But then lately HP has been going the
undocumented-windows-only-*nix-users-can-go-suck-eggs route anyhow, so I
really have no further use for them.