Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:22:07 +0200
From:      Ulrich <freebsd-alpha@infopuls.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PWS500a (Mitia) first install

Thanks, David and Sten.

Sten Spans writes:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, David O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I would buy a Qlogic 1040 or LSI 'sym(4)' card cheep on eBay.  The IDE
>> conroller in the PWS500a is simply a POS.
>
> Adaptec 2940uw is bootable with certain srm versions,
> Symbios 895's are a good choise too.
>
> Please note that boot support has nothing to do with
> freebsd. SRM has to support the particular adaptor.
>
> if the box came with 2940 booting from it may just work ..

The box is capable of booting Windows/NT 3.51 from one of the two 2 GB disks
attached to the Adaptec.

AlphaBIOS Version: 5.29 970226.1314

I already downloaded the files from the HP site with the current version. I
hesitate a little bit to perform the upgrade because I never did that and I
know that it may damage the system if something goes wrong.

I'm gonne buy a high capacity 2,5 " SCSI disk to replace the two 2 GB disks.
If the system can boot from it - perfect! If not, I'll use the CDROM or the
floppy disks to boot from.

I'm eager to get the box up and running now since it is here for about 4
months.

Thanks for the advice!