Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:29:54 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: current-digest V3 #104

> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 19:06:24 +1000
> Subject: Re: Serial console in -current
>
> >Understood.  How would you propose to handle the case where none of the
> >serial devices are marked as console but RB_SERIAL is set?  The
> >current behaviour is undeniably bogus, not to mention annoying. 8)

> Same as if there are no serial devices configured - tell the user to
> not use a silly configuration :-).

While this may be desirable from purist point of view, I must disagree
it for pragmatic reasons.

First, the historical behavior not requiring a special flag is
reasonable, understood, and consistent with other headless
configurations.  (At least my SPARC did the Right Thing and found the
first serial port when I tried this a year or so ago.)

Second, and more importantly, if I have a urgent need to switch to a
serial console and I don't have time to regen or extensively reconfigure
the kernel, I don't want to be blocked by the kernel refusing to use a
reasonable default.   (One of my systems doesn't have a normally have
monitor -- blindly feeding a boot -h is doable, a kernel reconfig is
_not_.)

Certainly, allowing the flag to make the behavior tunable is a good
thing, but don't break things given how important a console can be to
fixing a system which has other boot problems.

-ahd-