Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:18:40 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Darren <darren@tzeench.dhs.org>
Cc:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: glx hardware 3d acceleration

> your right, I didn't install the glx into the Xf86config..  I figured the
> port would just add it in automatically.  it works great with glclock =)
> however xscreensaver doesn't work too well...  I installed as it is in
> /usr/ports/x11/xscreensaver  I then exec 'xscreensaver' as a basic user in
> a csh shell... get a prompt with options "Demo" "Prefs" and "Help".  I
> click demo and here is the verbose output:
> xscreensaver: selecting events on extant windows... done.
> xscreensaver-demo: not found
> xscreensaver: child pid 8449 (<unknown>) exited abnormally (code 127).

The port maintainer for xscreensaver made a mistake (which I've
already reported to him) and left xscreensaver-demo off.  You should
build the port again and then manually install one of the two
xscreensaver-demo binaries from it - it makes two, one for Gtk and one
for Motif.  I prefer the Gtk one, but it doesn't matter which one you
install as xscreensaver-demo; after that, things will work.

- Jordan