Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:20:43 -0700
From:      Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
To:        Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@surf24.de>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time for my own PC hardware

Rainer M Duffner wrote:
> On Wed 21 Jul, David Wolfskill wrote:
>
>> Same asset-recovery shop had some ATX chassis/power supplies, so I
>> picked one up.
>
> Be sure to get a decent power-supply.
> German c't magazine did a test some time ago.
> Tough, the quality seems to have increased, compared from what I saw on
> the test one year ago.

It would seem that way, but common/stock (read case mfg supplied)
power supplies have been deteriorating in quality.  Nearly all
mainboards these days now have voltage regulators and so many
capacitors on them that power supply shortcomings are hard to
discover.

All the servers and workstations I build have PC Power & Cooling
units in them and I must say I'm very happy with the results, never
had one die on me (that hadn't been abused).

> Aren't there two types of ATX-standards ?
> (The latest is ATX 2.01)
> I don't visit http://www.tomshardware.com very often, but I'd expect to
> find some answers on it.
> (Note that all info on this page may be biased ("sponsors") or not.)

I'm not sure about ATX 2.01, but there's ATX and MicroATX.  ATX has
seven slots, MicroATX is pretty much an ATX board with the bottom/
right 3 expansion slots but off.  The two are identical otherwise, I
believe.