Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:34:53 -0700
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks

The interesting thing thing about this test is that it provides
'evidence' to refute all the major advantages of open source software.

It's almost like they were trying _too_ hard to get exactly these
results.

-Bill

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 03:21:36PM -0400, Seth wrote:
> [ Please -- if you choose to reply to this, just post to -advocacy.  Take
> my name off it; I'll see it when it hits the list.  Thanks!  SB ]
>
> Just something that was posted to #freebsd yesterday.  I think it's pretty
> interesting for a couple reasons I'll mention below:
>
>  http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html

> benchmarks, and file server benchmarks (using samba).
>
> What's hidden in here is that Microsoft sponsored this test (paid
> Mindcraft to do it, I guess).
>
> Something I found interesting.  There was a post a while back that
> suggested that Microsoft would not allow benchmarks of its own products to
> be posted by 3rd parties.  Did I misread this?  If not, it seems mighty
> unfair of them to post benchmarks only when it's in their interest to do
> so.
>
> I wonder how FreeBSD would stack up in these tests.
>

> Enjoy...
>
> SB

-=| Bill Swingle - <unfurl@dub.net>
-=| "I hate quotations." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=| FreeBSD - The Power to Serve! - http://www.freebsd.org/