Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:30:13 GMT
From:      ipswitch@apk.net (Stuart Krivis)
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Charles Henrich a Star?

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:14:57 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
>> My kind of PR is EFFECTIVE PR. Your PR, which has burdened FreeBSD
>> for many years, has set the OS so far behind Linux in market share
>> and visibility that it may never catch up.
>
>Damn, it sucks so much that we're not Linux.

=46reeBSD isn't a version of Linux? You mean all this time I've
been..... :-)

>Maybe we can beg Becker to write us some code so we can be just like
>Linux.  (That is, if you think you can match each line to a rabid =
frothing
>zealot.)

RedGNU/BSDware? FreeHat?

There are rabid frothing zealots everywhere.=20

I have felt that Brett goes too far, but you go just as far in the
other direction.

How about telling people why they should use FreeBSD, instead of why
something else sucks?

"Well, Linux is a very nice unix-clone, but...." Then proceed to tell
about FreeBSD being a descendant of 4.4BSD. Tell about how FreeBSD has
only one distro, and a "central committee" guiding the direction, and
that this can confer stability and coherence to the OS. Tell about the
ports system and how it installs the package you want, plus all the
dependencies. Tell about how FreeBSD allows you to buy any Unix book,
instead of a specific book on Linux. (And a RH book may not do you
much good if you have debian....)

You know the drill.....