Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:47:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Benjamin Greenwald" <beng@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Nate Williams" <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Michael Robinson" <robinson@netrinsics.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Naming branches

> By calling the branch -stable, whether we intend to or not, we are making a
> statement about both the robustness of the code and the ease of use.  In the
> case of 3.0-stable, I think we can all agree the upgrade path has been less
> than smooth and the code is far less robust than 2.2-stable.

We don't agree on any such thing.  I have no idea why your system
crashes with either 2.2.x or 3.0, but I'd be more inclined to target
the system in such a case, not the OS.

> It comes down to the poor guy who's machine no longer boots.  If he'd been
> installing 3.0-development, then he really has no one but himself to blame.
> By installing 3.0-stable, he has a rightful expectation that this shouldn't
> have happended, and if you ask me, he has every right to be angry.

I think he has every right to try and change things for the better
since this is a volunteer OS and people aren't paying for it - CD
folks contribute, but pay for the core technology?  They couldn't help
recoup the donated development costs if they paid 10X the CD price.
So nobody has a "right" to be angry about anything and those who think
that they do should really investigate another offering, Like Red Hat
Linux, before venting that in our direction.  Life is too short and
there are too many users jumping into the lifeboat to tolerate such
people at all.

- Jordan