Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:30:41 +1000
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        Seth <seth@psychotic.aberrant.org>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>, mij@osdn.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web page suggestion

+-------[ Josh Paetzel ]----------------------

| <rant>
|
| I don't think that we need to encourage users that don't want to
| "wade" through the three links on the website to get to the
| installation instructions.

I think you severely underestimate the level of the people trying to do this.
Generally they're looking for alternatives, they have scratch box or partition
and they're trying out 3 or 4 flavours of Linux, and they want to throw
FreeBSD into the mix. Or they're trying out something other than Linux because
they're starting to hear more and more press about FreeBSD.

They don't want to wade through hundreds of pages of doco to find where
the software is. They want to download, and have a go themselves first
before reading the doco. At this point, some will give up if it doesn't
go to plan, some will RTFH, some will ask for help on the mailling
lists or on the various irc channels that are around.

|  I think someone who is going to have a
| good experience with FBSD is someone who will read the entire handbook
| a couple of times before trying an install.  Someone who wants to be
| able to figure things out for themselves.  FreeBSD has a steep
| learning curve, and we might as well let people know that right away.

It doesn't have a steep learning curve for those who are already familiar
with UNIX type systems. Complete novices should still be able to install
the system (or find it to download it and install it), even if they
don't know what to do with it once they've done so.

| I installed FreeBSD in 1996, and I didn't have a clue about unix.  I
| didn't know anything.  It took me almost a year to be able to do
| anything with it at all.  I don't think that it is fair to people to
| give them the impression that FreeBSD is super user friendly.

But we want it to be right? I mean we're not a group of elitists who think
UNIX shouldn't be available to everyone are we? Are we?

If people want to install something to have a play, or to see what they
can do, we shouldn't be discouraging curiosity, or creativity.
From a sheer advocacy point of view, I would think having direct
links on the front page to download the CD and floppy images can only
be a good thing. In fact I would put a Getting FreeBSD section on the
main page, not just in the sidebar (between Easy to Install and FreeBSD
is free, is where I'd put it d8).

Like it or not the customer base is growing into a new arena, and we
(as a community), should be taking steps to embrace the new populous,
even if they have goofy requests, or don't always RTF[HM]. They have
been cultured very hard by big marketing companies that computers
aren't scary things, and that computers don't have to be hard to use
or operate.

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |