Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:35:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why is Python slower on FreeBSD than Windows?/Terry is a genius:)

On 17 Feb 2002, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Saying that it's a FreeBSD problem and not a VAIO problem is like saying
> that a dead battery is a driver's problem and not a car problem.  A
> dead battery IS a car problem and a non-standard (and closed) ACPI
> implementation in a VAIO IS a VAIO problem, unless we don't share a
> common language.

Well, here's the funny part ... ACPI is fully open. You can download the
spec, download Intel's free implementation, and disassemble the in-BIOS
ACPI code with acpidump(8). Then you can fix it, recompile the code with
Intel's ASL compiler, and use loader(8) to load your fixed code and use it
instead. I've done this on my HP laptop to get around an inifinite
recusion bug.

The problem is dealing with any custom wierd crap that the vendor's ACPI
code dinks with. HP case in point, they write to some very odd registers
for the embedded controller, and there is some Magic Sequence to enable
said controller that we're missing. Otherwise, the code to do power
state changes, inquiry temperature, get battery status, etc. is all there.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org