Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:10:25 -0500
From:      "Rod Taylor" <rbt@zort.ca>
To:        <agenkin-dated-1015380944.4c2893@thpoon.com>, <chat@freebsd.org>, <chat@gtabug.org>
Subject:   Re: gtabug - System to boot off CD-ROM, and into MFS

Excellent project.

You might want to look into the bootable ISO, and rc.diskless1,
rc.diskless2 scripts (or their equivelent).  There is a section in the
handbook about making a diskless workstation as well -- which is
basically what you're attempting.

Finally, if you accomplish something significant I'm sure there are
lots of people who would also be interested in using something like
this (I'm one of them).  Making generation of the disk set a part of
the BSD make world system would be a good way to ensure it's kept
working with future revisions (convince the release engineer to test
it out or even use it to fire up the installer in the case of FreeBSD
and their new Graphical Installer).

I heavily suggest looking into devfs for /dev.

At RCC I had converted the lab to a diskless scenario at one point
during some of our meetings out there.  Used one of Geoffry's
machines.  Quite fun.  Worked ok, but I can think of lots of things I
would have changed about it.

If I wasn't knee deep in the addition of DOMAIN support for PostgreSQL
I'd pitch in to help.

--
Rod Taylor

This message represents the official view of the voices in my head