Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 00:43:03 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Charles E. Kennedy" <charlek@CLEMSON.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general questions

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 02:36:17PM -0400, Charles E. Kennedy wrote:
> 1) Does FreeBSD operate in a windows like environment with a mouse or is
> everything executed from a command line more like DOS?

You can do either.  A minimal FreeBSD install will leave you at the
command line.  If you include the X Windowing System then you get
windows, pointers, and all that.

X is more involved to configure than MS WIndows is, but far more
flexible.

> 2) Will my current windows '95 based programs work on FreeBSD?  For
> example, although I am not crazy about the Microsoft OS solutions, I do
> like most of the windows software.  Of particular concern to me is MS
> Office.  I have had much success with this program and would like to be
> able to continue to use it.

No.  Replacements for some of them exist.  For example, StarOffice is a Unix
MS Office look-a-like.  WordPerfect 8 for Unix also works.

You might also want to investigate the WINE project and
http://www.wine.org/, which will let you run some Windows programs on
FreeBSD.

> 3) Do I need some version of DOS installed for it to work, or is a freshly
> formatted Hard drive the best way to install the OS?

Either.  DOS is not required.  However, depending your disk geometry
(it's size, how it's laid out, and how the BIOS thinks its laid out)
a small (5MB or so) DOS partition at the beginning of the drive can help
the FreeBSD installer determine the nature of your disk.  This small
partition can be deleted as part of the installation.

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole