Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 07:08:02 -0700
From:      Keith Walker <kew@timesink.spk.wa.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Insertion of NUL's (was: Re: -current :)

> [ ... NUL insertion ... ]
>
> > Oh good grief, I retired my only QIC-02 tape drive because I thought it was screwed up and inserting NUL's. Tapes made with tar (and I think dump, but I can't remember for sure) would have blocks of ^@'s inserted every once in a while, certainly enough to render a tape backup useless.
> >
> > Could this be related to the above problem? Or is my tape drive (circa 1987) actually broke? (Being's how the tape drive is so old, I don't have any DOS utilities to check the thing :-)
>
> I think the tape is probably toast.  It's unlikely to interact this
> way, since it doesn't deal with the idea of partial pages.  I believe
> the problem is with backing store for the FS, not devices (I could
> be wrong; when did it start behaving badly?  Is it consistent?  If
> so, try running it under an older -- 2.2 or earlier -- kernel to see).

It started all of this under 2.2. I'm sure that the tape drive is probably screwed up; sure enough that I'm not gonna drag it out and hook it up. Its just that the symptoms seemed so similar, that just for a moment there I had hope that it might not be the drive :-/

The beast only held about 60 Meg anyway. Kinda impractical in these days of cheap 4GB drives. (Of course, that was an awesome amount back in 1987 :-)