Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 03:48:52 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

You know I thought I might stay out of this one this time around, but this
is getting just too disconnected from reality to tolerate.

If anyone knows anything about the suitability of Windows to the desktop and
FreeBSD to the server I ought to.

Anthony, you have got to understand something before you continue on with
this,
that is the wide variation of computer usage in the world.  Your arguing from
a United States viewpoint in a world forum, and you don't understand it.

Here in the US there is a very good reason that Windows is "more suited" to
the desktop than UNIX is.  This is that 80% of all business in the US are
under the 100-employee mark, and to put it simply the vast majority of
non-high-tech companies cannot afford to hire
the top drawer IT administrators that can make an effective decision between
using UNIX or using FreeBSD for either the server or the desktop.  In fact,
the majority of these companies don't even HAVE a network manager, and survive
entirely on $50-per-hour consultants that work out of a '73 Ford Pinto and
a cell phone.  Even if network managers were plentiful at the prices they
could
afford to pay them, they wouldn't hire them as full time employees simply
because
most of these business just don't value Information Technology (IT) all that
much.

Now, when you have a company that regards IT as a necessary evil, something
to try to spend as little money on as possible, (which most of these companies
do) the absolute last thing they care about is suitability of the software
they are running to their overall information infrastructure.  The primary
thing
they care about is cost - and they can get El-Crapo PC computers for pennies
down at K-Mart, which all used to come with Windows 98 loaded on them.  Well,
the
$50-per-hour-Ford-Pinto consultants make most of their money off of these
folks
and since these companies all figure that if the consultant is at the site
more than 2 hours he's robbing them blind, the consultants have learned how to
go in, make
as few changes as possible with the maximum number of bandaids, then get the
hell out while they can still issue a bill that has a remote chance of being
paid.

So what it boils down to is that the reason that Windows is so suitable here
is
because we are flooded with the $50-per-hour-work-out-of-their-van Windows
consultants, and these people can be used and abused by the majority of
businesses
who wouldn't let a network manager onto the payroll over their dead bodies,
unless such network manger only worked 1/4 the time managing the network and
3/4 of the time running the cash register and asking "do you want fries with
that?"

In short, Windows is the CHEAPEST solution here in the US for most companies
to get somthing slapped down in front of the user to be able to read E-mail
and write a few wordprocessing documents - simply because for most companies,
the costs are in the outside consulting support they have to grudgingly hire,
rather than in the infrastructure, or software liscenses.  In particular,
although you will never
get anyone to admit it, most of these companies have ONE Cd of Windows they
bought and load it on ALL of the systems they have under the roof.  To them
the software
cost for Windows is the same as it is for FreeBSD because they are blatently
pirating the software.

Overseas, though, things are much different.  In many countries there is no
real history of Windows usage, and do you know why that is?  It's because the
dominant
commercial desktop OS for years and years was OS/2!  Also, there's lots of
countries where Windows has not been localized to that country.  There is
simply not this
giant pool of idle Windows admins kicking around like there is here.

Why do you think that they _had_ a BSDcon in Europe in 2001 and here the
BSDcon
that was supposed to happen in 2001 was washed down the drain?  It's simple -
overseas they are used to paying a lot more for Microsoft products than we are
and I daresay that the total amount of piracy of Windows overseas (discounting
Asia where piracy is an institution) in businesses is far less than here in
the
US.  In short, the environment is totally different, and penetration of
Windows is
far less.  Just look at the financial reports for any large domestic software
vendor who has overseas sales broken out and you will see this.

In summary, your arguing from a classic "tech" position where you simply don't
take any of the financial/business/political issues into account, and so you
are
making the classic "tech" mistake where your putting far more emphasis on
the technical merits of one system over the other.  Such things are important
you so you think they are important to any business that runs software.  Well,
they AREN'T.  Most of the computer market here in the US knows about as much
about how their computers operate as most of the automotive market knows how
their cars are bolted together.  Thye buy the Microsoft dog food because it
comes in a big fat
economy-sized bag that's on sale with a coupon, instead of the FreeBSD dog
food
which 1 can costs the same and never goes on sale.  They don't know or care
that
the Microsoft dog food is mostly shit-colored bread, while the FreeBSD dog
food is
real Meat and meat by-products.