Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:26:25 -0400
From:      "A. Smith" <static@cybertours.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IBM Thinkpad P120 Router

Hello Everyone

I have an IBM Thinkpad, P-120 with 40MB ram working as
the gateway for my network. I'm running IPFW, currently using the default
rc.firewall -OPEN ruleset. Everything seems to work very well (with the odd
exception of my not being able to access random sites, like www.real.com
...but that's another issue) _functionally_ but the performance of the
machine is in question right now. I would say 90 percent of the online
applications I use work perfectly well. The exception is gaming. I'm an avid
Counter-Strike player, and whenever I'm logged into a server I get some
really bad lag spikes. I've got a 640d/90u DSL connection through Verizon,
and this only happens when I'm using the BSD box as the gateway...if I
connect the gaming PC directly, the problem goes away.

I have a 3com 10mbit pcmcia card on the outside interface and a Linksys
10/100 pcmcia card on the inside interface. My suspicion is the Linksys
card, purely because I have had latency problems when gaming with PCI
Linksys cards in the past. Is there any way, short of replacing the card,
that I can determine if this is the case?

And, if anyone has any other suggestions as to what might cause this problem
I would be greatly appreciative

Thanks in Advance,

-Tony