Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:57:01 -0400
From:      "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@bit-net.com>
To:        "Walter, Thomas A  (Thom)" <WalteTA@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet & Compaq ???

Did you try to -c at the boot prompt and go into configuration visual
configuration
mode to set the card to what it works at in dos
Is there any conflict with the io or irq that your using in FreeBSD ?
dmesg at the prompt may help.

I'm new to this stuff.  Hoping this may help you out.
I could be all wrong but I believe you asked for suggestions.

Here is a pretty good place for answers though also.
http://www.freebsd.org/search

specially the mailing list archive search.