Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:48:25 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multi Server Passwords

I have a mix of Windows NT 4.0 workstations (soon to be 2000 :-( ), and NT and
FreeBSD servers. I prefer FreeBSD with Samba to Windows NT Server, but manageing
accounts and paswords is a chore. There must be an easier way.

I have three FreeBSD servers behind a Windows NT PDC. Two are "twins" and are
used for roaming profiles and mail. The third is for shared files and print
services (although print services may be spread amongst all three ...).

Every user has an NT account on the PDC, a Unix account on one of the two
profile servers,  a Unix account on the shared data server, and a Samba
(smbpasswd) account on the same two Unix boxes. That's seven databases to
maintain, five for each account. Bleh!

After reading the Baines Black Book I realized that Samba can be configured to
authenticate users from the PDC. The smb.conf entry that does this is
	security = domain

This is great. Three less databases to manage. But what about the three Unix
password databases? Can I maintain the password database on the centrally
shared Unix server and point the twins to it? Will NIS do this? Should I?
Security issues?

--
 == Gary Dunn
 == Honolulu