Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 09:29:54 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: bin/27069: ppp links may not be up before natd is started, causing natd to fail

> Synopsis: ppp links may not be up before natd is started, causing natd to
fail

> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: brian
> State-Changed-When: Fri May 4 03:02:18 PDT 2001
> State-Changed-Why:
> I don't believe the suggested fix is appropriate.

Gee, let's just close the ticket before you give it a chance.
open->feedback would be much more appropriate.

> I would suggest setting ppp_mode=background in ppp.conf and adding
> a ``set mode auto'' (or whatever) to your ppp config instead.  You
> may also need to muck about with ``set redial''.

In my situation, I'm using a PPPoE link for my LAN, which contains web and
mail servers.  I need the link up 24/7, so background and auto are
inappropriate.  (Background will try once and either succeed or fail.  In
the failure case, that means that I have to restart ppp by hand.  Auto will
drop the connection once internal traffic ceases, which will close off
access to my public servers when I'm not using my system - I do get a
considerable amount of web and mail traffic to my sites while I'm sleeping.)

Hence, I need to use ppp_mode=dedicated (or ddial) in order to keep the link
up 24/7.

> The thing that concerns me is why you say it's sometimes necessary
> to use natd instead of ppp's -nat switch (or ``nat enable yes'').
> Under what circumstances is this necessary ?

To do port forwarding, for one.  PPP's nat support is "nat enable yes|no",
which may be great for a LAN, but not a gateway machine with servers behind
it that need port redirection.

--
Matt Emmerton