Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:31:35 -0500
From:      "Sandro Mancuso" <sandromancuso@hotmail.com>
To:        "'Pascal Poschenrieder'" <DOCMOD@t-online.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Question about Port Forwarding

The easiest way to do so is by using ipnat. And ipfilter imho.  (I'm a
newbie, I managed to get it running after only a week of trial and
error. its got to be easy ;-) check out www.obfuscation.org/ipf for an
*excellent* whitepaper on that topic.  What you need to do, is create a
file, generally ipnat.rules and run that using ipnat (I believe it would
be "ipnat -f /etc/ipnat.rules") and that will forward all specified
ports in that file to the machine on the internal network you specify

Assuming you already use ipnat now, all you have to add to the
ipnat.rules file are rdr rules:

Rdr xl0 ext.ip.add.ress port xx -> 10.0.0.2 port xx

Note that to the best of my knowledge, using a port range here, ie port
1000 >< 2000 for example won't work. I've never used it though, so you
might as well try.  Furthermore, in case it may be of interest to you,
the two port numbers do not have to be the same.  You can make a rule
that would translate a service run internally on port 40000 to the
"correct" port on the outside, say port 22 for ssh or something.

Hope this helps, good luck

Here's a list of great sites to help you with this (just ignore the
whole firewall part for your case).  All of them mention predominantly
IPFILTER, but each have to mention ipnat because the two work hand in
hand.

http://www.schlacter.net:8500/public/FreeBSD-STABLE_and_IPFILTER.html
http://www.muine.org/~hoang/freenat.html
http://www.freebsd-howto.com/HOWTO/