Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 21:36:59 -0400
From:      charlespeters@tecpro.com
To:        "Child" <child@mctcnet.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Midpoint gateway evuiq for freebsd

I use to use Midpoint gateway (for about 1 month).  While it did most of
what it was advertised to do, email, ftp, telnet, etc... were just to
cumbersome to deal with.  Also, the Windoze box would lock up periodically.

I am currently using freebsd 2.2.6 release to do essentially the same thing.
I'm routing tcp/ip packets from a Novell Netware network populated with
Windows95 boxes through the freebsd gateway.  While the setup is really
quite easy (once you know what is going on), it will take the average newbee
several hours to get up and running.  Since I see that you are an
experienced user, you should not have the problems that I encountered.

You will need to set up you freebsd box as a gateway, and configure
ppp -alias.

You can even set up the gateway to act as a proxy server, and to be an
intranet server (that's what I did).

I am quite pleased with the performance of the system.  I am also pleased
the say the email, telnet, and ftp operate seemlessly.  Your network users
really don't even need to know that you are doing anything special.

The following location has good info on how to set up the system.

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html

Good Luck!

Charles