Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:19:28 +0100
From:      "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Christopher Hall" <hsw@acm.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AC97 sound codecs

> Is the AC97 sound system supported on on -stable.

yes.

>   1. i815E/Celeron motherboard, AD1885 codec
>   2. SiS 730S/Duron Motherboard, ALC200 codec
> I found that in sys/dev/sound/pcm/ac97.c has a list of AC97 codecs
> and should print a messge for the codec.
>
> I just get a "unknown card" message from boot -v
> The BIOS listed same ID numbers as "Multmedia Device"
> There were no ac97 related messages in the boot -v listing.
>
> The sound driver file for -current shows both these codecs (and others)

you misunderstand the purpose of ac97.  ac97 provides a standard interface
between a digital audio controller and the analogue world.  it does not
provide any direct interface to the rest of the computer.  therefore, while
the audio controller<->codec interface can be supported with generalised
code, it is reliant on having a driver for the audio controller.

an i810/i815 driver will be committed once my i815 motherboard arrives.

no driver is currently planned for sis630/730 or ali motherboards due to
lack of hardware and lack of funds.  the audio controller on these boards is
very similar to the trident 4dwave.

no driver is planned for the via8233 for the same reason.

i will accept driver submissions for any controller not currently supported,
or donations of any sound related hardware including motherboards with
onboard sound, soundcards, internal/external midi units, etc.  i'm
especially interested in hardware that we don't currently support although
working hardware is always useful for regression testing.

however, if you have hardware which is not supported but information exists
to allow its support, and you are not prepared to contribute a driver or
donate equivalent hardware so that i can write a driver without having to
purchase it at my own personal expense then please a) check list archives of
freebsd-multimedia to ensure that i know said hardware exists, and b) be
patient and hope that someone else is more generous than you or that i find
the money to invest in it myself.

this is not just directed at you, mr hall.  it applies to everyone that i
have observed asking about the same hardware time and time again.

and lest some of you think otherwise, digital audio support has had exactly
one person behind it for almost two years- me.  i now have orion and greid
assisting me, but we still have very limited resources.  we're not getting
paid for this, and we do have other things to do so our time is far from
limitless.

    -cg