Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:10:57 +0900
From:      "=?x-user-defined?B?sejA57/s?=" <h881108@kornet.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Ghost process with broken telnet connection.

I have 2 FreeBSD 4.2 system, one for telnet service and
the orther for application development.

I have find out some strange things concernning with
telnet connections, especially in broken telnet connections.
Hereinafter, my experiences;

AA. Tested Software
       FreeBSD 4.2 Release
       FreeBSD 4 Stable 2001.02.18 snap.kr.install.iso
       FreeBSD 4.11 Release

BB. Tested Telnet Client
       NetTerm 4.2
       Telnet.exe included in Win98
       telnet included in FreeBSD and Linux

CC. Tested Hardware
       Intel Server 800MHz with 256MB RAM, 8GB Segate SCSI HDD, 100MBPS
Intel NIC
       Pentium 150MHz with 64MB RAM, 30GB IBM HDD, 10MBPS 3C900 NIC

DD. Procedures

       aa. Open two telnet clients window at Win98 or orther clients
       bb. Run infinite loop program ( ex. top ) at each telnet terminal
after successfully login to BSD.
       cc. Disconnect one telnet client connection without normal procedure.
             This means break the telnet connection in force, killing telnet
client window is a example.
       dd. Then watch the orther telnet client's window, the top process
says the idle CPU time is almost zero(0) per cent.
             And you will find out the infinite loop process( another top
which ran from broken telnet session in this case )
             remains and occupy every CPU time.
             My guess is the process belongs to broken telnet session does
not realize that session was broken and
             retry to create a new process tediously, but nothing is clear.
       ee. A shell script which read user input from keyboard  in a loop
makes same result.
       ff.   After a couple of test, system's reply is slow down in
significant.
             Especially lots of I/O, ls -lRa /* in example.
             One day my telnet server had 450 more processes without any
logged in user, most of them are
             the ghost process described above.

Is there anyone who knows solutions or suggestions for this problem, who
experienced same thing ?
Thanks

h881108@kornet.net KIM Jaewoo