Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:04:00 -0500
From:      "shivak" <shivak@shivakaul.com>
To:        "Scott Pilz" <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers On Free-BSD

I have a 200mhz pentium pro w/ 384 mb ram and a few SCSI disks running
as a mail server. It runs *very* fast. It has FreeBSD, qmail-smtp, and
qmail-pop3d. The Qmail daemons support a great new format of mailbox's
called Maildir (the mail for a user goes under ~/Maildir/). This
approach solves the speed problem, and also boasts increased security
and reliability. Of course, this is a setup that makes concessions for
users that actually login. As far as qmail goes, it works great - I find
everything about it superior to sendmail...I think it is missing a few
features, but they are certainly not *that* important as my setup works
flawlessly. Hope this helps.