Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:06:59 -0000
From:      "ewdafa" <ewdafa@ewdafa.b0rk.co.uk>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   @comment ORIGIN

Ello,
 The recent addition of the ORIGIN comment is great. It's allowed me to whip
up a ports checking tool that checks out /var/db/pkg/ for installed packages
and then looks under /usr/ports for updated versions of the packages. BUT,
there are some inconsistencies.. these are probably down to the package
maintainers themselves.
I found that mysql323-client and mysql323-server both have a strange
Makefile scheme thats different to other ports e.g.
mysql323-client:
PORTNAME=    ${MASTERPORTNAME:S/-server/-client/g}
mysql323-server:
PORTNAME?=    ${MASTERPORTNAME}

It seems the client is just a kind of wrapper around the server, but, it
would still be handy to have the proper information in there. Hm.
This at the moment is the only thing breaking my app, apart from that it
seems to work quite well.

I was thinking, is there a way to easily update packages?
At the moment i 'make deinstall' and then 'make clean; make install', as im
not so keen on what 'make reinstall' is actually doing.
How do you guys do it?
 -ed