Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:40:15 -0500
From:      "NOC - KP^2" <noc@kulish.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   !Sendmail+SASL Setup!

Dont let the subject line scare, ok maybe it should.  I just got done
searching through the list archive and returned a bunch of sendmail+sasl
questions, few of which offered any help.  I have installed sendmail+sasl
via ports on a 4.3S freebsd box.  Sendmail seems to be sending and receiving
email fine, but I dont think its asking for any type of smtp authentication.
When I telnet to localhost 25 I get the following output:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.this.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.this.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.5/8.11.3; Thu, 16 Aug 2001
15:34:53 -0500 (CDT)
ehlo localhost
250-mail.this.com Hello localhost.this.com [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ONEX
250-ETRN
250-XUSR
250 HELP
quit
221 2.0.0 mail.this.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

As seen in the above output, I seem to be missing a 250-AUTH line.  This is
where the project is heading south  :)...  The documentation (at least what
I could find) is kinda sparse.  Im officially lost! Anyone know of a
Tutorial online anywhere?  I would think that these questions have been
asked often enough to warrant something of that sort.

TIA,
Chris Kulish
"In trouble again"