Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:48:11 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Dmitry Karasik" <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: too many groups

Actually, I think that Mike and I were not that far off from each other.  He
gave a technical reason (which may or may not be an issue - you ought to post
some benchmarks of your system with the modified group kernel vs a generic one
just to see if there's any difference) while I gave a
business/political/administrative reason.  Of course, mine is going to be not
totally satisfying because we all hate to have our choices in software
restricted by non-technical reasons. :-)

The one thing that I did find unacceptable abotu Mike's answer is that he
indicated that there wasn't a single location for this to be changed that
would get everything.  The situation reminds me of the 8 character username
limitation in early versions of FreeBSD.  Someone posted a long complicated
process discussing what switches to flip to get longer than 8 character
usernames, but later on the core team changed it so that there was only a
single place to increse the account character limitation.  That's what really
should be done for the group limitation too.